The Top 6 Tips for EV Charging Etiquette

flo_ev_charging_etiquette

There are a lot of reasons why more and more drivers are choosing to drive electric. Whether it’s for a better driving experience, to save money on maintenance or to help the environment, EVs come with benefits that gas cars don’t. While the number of EV drivers continues to increase, so will the number of cars at charging stations. To make sure everyone has a positive charging experience, read on for our top 6 tips for EV charging etiquette.

1. Move on After You’re Charged

As an EV driver, it’s a beautiful thing to always have prime parking locations. Yet, once you’re done charging, it’s time to move along and let other drivers charge. This doesn’t mean you have to move your car the second you’ve finished charging. But staying in a spot for hours on end can be inconvenient for other drivers. You can monitor your charging status on the FLO app and move once you see you’re charged.

Remember, EV spots are for charging not parking. So, don’t stay longer than you need to.

flo_ev_charging_etiquette

2. Aim for 80%

Your EV battery will charge faster when it’s depleted. However, once you get up to about an 80% charge, that rate slows down considerably. In this case, chances are you don’t need that extra 20% as much as a driver who’s down to 10%. To be courteous to everyone who needs to charge, think about moving your car when you hit that 80% point.

If you’re desperate for a charge, there’s no harm in asking. Since most EV drivers tend to be friendly and understanding, they might oblige and let you charge first.

3. Don’t Unplug Another Car…Even If It’s a Hybrid

As an EV driver, you probably wouldn’t want someone unplugging your car without your consent, so don’t do it to others. There’s even a chance you could get caught as most drivers monitor their charging status remotely in their app. However, if you are ok with someone unplugging your car once it’s charged, you can always leave a note to say so.

Alternatively, some EV drivers with pure electric cars think they have charging priority over plug-in hybrid vehicles. Charging is a first-come, first-serve basis just like how a gas station is. So, remember to be courteous and wait your turn, even if you’re waiting for a hybrid.

flo_ev_charging_phev

4. Keep Your Cool If You’re ICEd

It’s happened to every EV driver. You pull up to a spot and it’s blocked by an internal combustion engine (ICE) car. In some cities and municipalities, it’s even illegal to block an EV spot and can result in getting towed.

This can be frustrating, especially if you have a low battery and really need to charge. If you’re ICEd and decide to leave a note, make sure you’re polite. Courteous language will be more likely to convince them not to do it again than if you’re rude.

5. Respect the Charging Area

Leaving the charging area in a good state is a courtesy to other drivers and improves safety for everyone. Don’t leave the cable laying on the ground where it can get damaged and become a hazard to others. Another important (and often forgotten) habit is always remember to return the connector to the holster.

It should go without saying, but don’t leave trash behind. Keep the charging area clean.

6. Plan Ahead with the FLO App

There might be times when you just can’t get to a charging station. But consistently waiting to charge until your dash light is red brings unnecessary stress. Make sure to plan ahead so you charge up and avoid the dreaded range anxiety. The free FLO app will show you all the available spots near you.

Make EV Charging Pleasant for Everyone

Even though most of these tips are common sense, it’s good to remember all of us can contribute to a positive charging experience for everyone.

Have other tips? Tell us on FacebookTwitter or LinkedIn.

Comments are closed.